The Parents' Association (PA) at Good Shepherd Lutheran School is a collaborative group of parents who work towards establishing bridges of trust and communication between the School administration, teachers, parents, and students.
The mission of the Parents' Association at Good Shepherd Lutheran School is to enhance the academic and social experience for all within the community of parents, teachers, and students.
- To promote support and fellowship among parents in an effort to build upon our Christian community;
- To foster a partnership, which incorporates cooperation and goodwill, among parents, teaching staff, administration, and the school board;
- To support our administration and teaching staff through the many talents and resources of our parents;
- To encourage parent participation in activities which will enhance the academic, spiritual, and physical learning environments of our children;
- To coordinate school fundraisers through the school board which will provide revenues for otherwise unbudgeted items or services for the academic, athletic, and extracurricular programs and social events for our families and faculty;
- To provide opportunities for students to perform and otherwise demonstrate special skills learned during the year;
- To stimulate participation, attendance, and excellence in our athletic and extracurricular programs.
2018-2019 PA Officers:
- President(s): Annie van den Toorn, Shawna Mullarkey
- Vice President: OPEN
- Secretary: Judy Riccio
- Treasurer: Karen Leech
1) Community Outreach & Events Committee
Works to enhance and strengthen the GSLS community: improve "community" at school events, organize new events to bring families together, provide opportunities for children to perform and to celebrate them.
- Community Outreach & Events Chair: Annie van den Toorn
- New Family Ambassadors: Carrie Criswell, Camie Sumrall, Katie Sieu-Bedell
- Room Parent Orientation Leads: Camie Sumrall, Lupe Nolan
- Parent Socials Team: Mia Gill, Michelle Christian, Laurie Case, Kelsey Harstad
- Uniform Exchange Leads: Suzie Weir, Jenn Procopio
- Grandparents and Special Friends Day Leads: Tracey Martino (ES), Sara Inclenrock, Carie Kimmel (MS)
- Yearbook Editors: Maggie Alexandridis, Michelle Bertram, Mia Gill, Kelsey Chao, Rebecca Krutz, Danelle Amalfitano (MS), Alison Martin (MS photographer)
- Someone Special Dance Lead/Team (girls’ choice): Barbara Byers (chair), OPEN
- Lucky To Have You Dance Team (boys’ choice): Kelsey Harstad, Kimm Stephens, Stefanie Bauer
- First-Day-Back Event Team: Shawna Mullarkey, Sara Inclenrock, Carrie Criswell, PA BOARD
- Class Room Parents (preschool – elementary school)
- Church Liaison: Dan Christian
- Helping Hands Leads: Megan Patterson
- Talent Show
- Chair: Joyce Zang, Jane Yanecko
- Team: Michelle Bertram (marketing/communications), Kelsey Chao (volunteer coordinator), Margaret Devore (snack shack), Emma Cockerton and Michelle Fazio (logistics, ticketing)
- Book Fair
- Chair: Michelle Bertram
- Team: Kelsey Chao, Morgan Mischler, Sara Inclenrock, Andrea Ismert, Maryanne Lee, Sandra Dolan, Yolanda Sigmueller, Amy Weiss
- Chapel Reception Teams
- Christmas (PS and ES): Kris Corey, Claudine Bested
- Easter (PS and ES): Jaynie Kirby, OPEN
- End-of-Year (PS and ES): Ross Batt, Katie Sieu-Bedell
- Back-to-School Night & Open House Reception Teams
- MS: Camie Sumrall, Carrie Criswell
- ES: Michelle Christian, Kelsey Harstad
- Middle School Events Chair: Leigh Ann Farmer
- Middle School Christmas Breakfast Team: Karri Osheroff (chair), Megan Pomponio, Sandra Nissim, Danelle Amalfitano, Kiersten Ross
- Middle School BLAST Chair/Team: Carrie Criswell, Gladys Vaca, OPEN
- Middle School Graduation Reception Lead (6th grade parent): Sandra Dolan
- Middle School PA Liaison: Jennifer Nann
- Middle School Class Reps: Camie Sumrall (6), Gretchen Polkinghorne (7), Danelle Amalfitano (8)
2) Fundraising Committee
Outlines and Implements a fundraising strategy to support PA goals, coordinates events and recruits volunteers, undertakes new fundraisers to generate funding.
- Fundraising Chairs: Carrie Criswell, Kate Shilvock
- Annual Gala and Auction
- Chair: Cristina Rinaldi
- Team: Ryan Ismert, Annie van den Toorn, Shawna Mullarkey, Andrea Ismert, Suzie Weir, Stacey Anselmo, Liz Frohlich, Gladys Vaca, Yolanda Siegmuller, Kasie Rau, Jennifer Brush, Megan Allen, Lupe Nolan, OPEN (several positions)
- eSCRIP Lead: Kiersten Ross
- Sports “Basementeer” Loyalty Program Lead: Kiersten Ross
- Pizza Wednesday Lead: Christine Maffei, Jaime King
- Sandwich Day Lead (start January): OPEN
- Elementary School Ice Cream Fundraiser Leads: Dan Banakus, John Parschauer, Lisa Ravina
- Middle School Ice Cream Fundraiser Lead: Carrie Criswell, Jen Brush
- Rebounderz Jump and Donate Lead: Maggie Alexandridis
- Pay-to-Play Leads: Stacey Anselmo, Mia Gill, Laurie Case, Kelsey Harstad, Rebecca Krutz, Michelle Christian
3) Academic & Enrichment Council
Supports and celebrates enrichment and academic programs and events.
- Academic and Enrichment Council Chair: Shawna Mullarkey
- Weekly Art Volunteer (ES): Katie Bedell, Tracey Martino
- Weekly Art Volunteer (MS): Carrie Kimmel
- Elementary School (3rd – 5th) Musical Production Team
- Chair/Point Person for Gretchen: OPEN
- Wardrobe/Costumes: Stefanie Bauer, Lupe Nolan, Tamera Stewart, MJ Lange
- Make-up Leads: Mia Gill, Michelle Bertram, Rebecca Krutz, Stefanie Bauer
- Communication and Marketing: Andrea Ismert, Sara Inclenrock, Amy Weiss
- Sets: Rogeria Oliveria, Lupe Nolan, Tracey Martino
- Volunteer Coordinator: Kelsey Chao
- Middle School Musical Production Team
- Chair/Point Person for Gretchen: Allison Martin
- Wardrobe/Costumes: Sree , Adriana Rios, OPEN
- Make-up Leads: Danelle Amalfitano, OPEN
- Communication and Marketing: Carrie Criswell
- Sets: David Lazzarini, OPEN
- Volunteer Coordinator: Adriana Rios
- Gardening Program Leads: Annie van den Toorn, Kate Shilvock
- Christmas Concert (4th - 8th) Reception Leads: Claudine Bested, Kris Corey
- Art and Music Night Event and Reception Lead(s): Jennifer Nann
4) Appreciation Committee
Fosters a culture of appreciation for work done by teachers, staff, and volunteers.
- Appreciation Chair: Judy Riccio
- Annual Staff-Teacher Appreciation Celebration & Teacher Appreciation Week
- Chair: Julie Rhodes
- Team: Michelle and Dan Christian, Jennifer Chavez, MJ Lange, Gia Lombardi (MS)
- Volunteer of the Year/Appreciation Event Leads: Judy Riccio, Sandra Dolan
- Staff-Teacher Appreciation Gifts Leads: Lupe Nolan, Lisa Ravina
- Volunteer Recognition Leads: Sayumi Brannan, Monica Murphy
5) Communication Committee
Works to effectively communicate regarding PA and school events and volunteer opportunities; provides forums for parent education.
- Communication Chair: Annie van den Toorn
- Parent Education Leads: Maryanne Lee, Soo Kim
- Marquee Lead: OPEN
- Quarterly PA News Lead: Andrea Morales, Annie van den Toorn
The PA will hold three General PA meetings this school year: September, January, and May. The Governing Committee (officers, committee chairs, key leads) will meet all other months on the second Wednesday at 8:45 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall. All GSLS parents are strongly encouraged to attend the PA General meetings which will include updates and presentations from the administration and parents’ association and will include a parent education segment.
What Parents Can Do
- Get Involved! Volunteer for a role with the PA or a PA event. We need you!
- Sign-up for eSCRIP: This is basically FREE MONEY - GSLS earns a % of sales for every dollar spent by parents at Nugget, Coffee Roasters, etc.
- Sign up for Sports Basement “Basementeer” Program (https://tinyurl.com/GSBasementeer) and select Good Shepherd as the beneficiary. Participants receive 10% off every purchase and GSLS receives 10% as well!
- Be a Room Parent – Room Parents help to create a fabulous, organized year for each class.
- Sign up for Pizza Wednesdays & Ice Cream Fridays – 2 fantastic PA fundraisers!
- Attend community events and fundraisers throughout the year and enjoy our school, community and kids!